Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Float Like a Butterfly, Sting Like a Hornet

So I may (or may not) have mentioned before that NWG is a ForgeWorld friendly tournament. Now in past years I've never taken advantage of this fact at all, however this year with the Eldar army being new and an impulse purchase nagging me from the sidelines, I decided to take the opportunity and use a ForgeWorld unit that I may not get to use very often otherwise. Enter the Hornets.

My Hornet squadron is my very first ForgeWorld unit to own, use, or paint ever. I bought them on impulse a while back when they were going cheap on ebay. A few weeks later the new Imperial Armour Apocalypse book came out, and the Hornet update was something to behold. Getting all upgrades dropped to the new Codex: Eldar pricing standards, the Hornets became a force to be reckoned with. I am taking a two 'man' squadron equipped with double Pulse Lasers and Holo-Fields. For a measly 190pts these guys outclass the Walkers I was planning on taking previously by quite a bit.

They boast a decent AV11 defense front and sides like most imperial vehicles, however with Holo-Fields they are getting a 4+ cover save just for moving. They also have Star Engines, so can move flat-out and still fire Snap Shots. This doesn't seem like much until you consider that the unit puts out 8 S8 AP2 shots! With Prescience or Guide on them they should be able to get into squishy side armour and still punch through a vehicle with ease. Similarly, they put out enough firepower to threaten flyers. In fact the only thing they lose over the Walkers is the Lance rule, making the army a bit more susceptible to Land Raiders, but we have Spears and Wyches for that.

What's more, they are amazing models, and were a breeze to put together and paint. As I mentioned above, this is the first ForgeWorld unit I have ever painted, and I am certainly pleased with them. Be sure to let me know what you guys think. I'll have another update soon for the last few pieces of the army, as well as a look at the final list that I settled on. Until then though, stay tuned and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment